For Bed & Breakfast and Self-Catering Holidays in Castle Douglas Call 01556 680200 or 07771 703728
Responsive image

History of the former station and our carriage...

The station closed in 1947, but the line was used until 1965

Bridge of Dee station was on the branch line which ran from Castle Douglas to Kirkcudbright in south west Scotland. The station was closed in 1947, but the line was used up until the early 1960's. In spite of the time since the station was last active, there are still a number of original features remaining. The station building now offers excellent bed and breakfast accommodation.

In addition to the station itself, owners Eric and Maggie Fenwick have added a former railway carriage in the old sidings which forms the self-catering holiday accommodation. The carriage was built in 1957 by the Gloucester Carriage and Wagon Co, Diagram 181 Type BSK (Second Class Brake Corridor), Running Number E35109. Based at Cricklewood, North London, it was withdrawn from passenger service in 1975 and converted for use as a Mess Coach for a three-part maintenance team and renumbered ADB 975465. It was allocated to Toton depot near Nottingham, but was also based near Paddington for a time and at St Philips Marsh, Bristol, before arriving at Bridge of Dee to be converted into comfortable holiday accommodation.

The carriage sits on 20 metres of bull nose track mounted on concrete sleepers inset into an 18'' deep bed infilled with stone.

Website design by The Internet Pages 2020 | Sitemap